Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Special Olympics

Yesterday our daughter, Erin, participated in the annual Special Olympics for high school students here in London. This was an exciting day for her. Her events were the 80 meter sprint, long jump, high jump, shot put, and softball throw. The high school she attends had volunteer peer coaches, two for each participant. We were thankful for cool, overcast weather (a little too cool at times), making it easier for the athletes. Although Erin didn't place in the top 3 in any of her events, she had a great day nonetheless, living out the Special Olympics creed, "Please let me win, but if I can not, let me be brave in the attempt."

The class and helpers from Oakridge Secondary School
Erin with her peer coaches
In the long jump
Softball throw
With her teacher, Andrew M.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures! Looks like Erin had a fantastic time...I can't wait until mine is old enough to participate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Erin! The pictures are wonderful. My son Alex is a swimmer and is gearing up for his Summer Games in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete