Monday, May 23, 2011

Welcome...

So, I've just started a blog on a topic that I've been living for the past 17 plus years - raising a child and experiencing life with a daughter who has Down Syndrome. Although I've posted items about this topic over the years in other forums (my Taiwan Life blog, Facebook, etc.), I felt I wanted to post in a more focused way about my thoughts, experiences, and feelings about having a child with DS. I will also try to highlight a broad range of topics related to Down Syndrome, sharing third party resources or articles I find of interest. My goal is to educate, challenge, and generally open my heart on the matter. Every post will in some way be related to Down Syndrome, or raising an exceptional child.

As for the title of my blog, "The Deal With Downs", it has a double meaning for me. Dictionary definitions of the word "deal" include, 1) managing, coping, or taking measures regarding something, 2) distributing something to someone, or including them in something (i.e. "deal them in"), and so I could say, when it comes to Down Syndrome (or "Downs", as many say), we deal with the hand we were dealt. (Too corny?)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Down Syndrome is something most people have heard of, but unless their lives have been touched by it in some way, they often know little about it. If I can change that in some way through this blog, I'll be happy.

If you are familiar with subscribing to a blog and wish to follow this one, I would invite you to do so. You can do this easily by clicking on the subscribe button to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment